The Select Board is composed of 5 members who are elected for 3-year terms. Current members include:
- Bernard Greene (Chair, term expiring 2021)
- Heather Hamilton (Vice Chair, term expiring 2023)
- Nancy Heller (term expiring 2021)
- Raul Fernandez (term expiring 2022)
- John VanScoyoc (term expiring 2023)
The Select Board is currently reviewing many policy initiatives and items that come before them at their weekly meetings.
At their meeting on January 5, 2021, the Select Board committed to reviewing a prosal on a partnership initiative with the Brookline Housing Authority. That draft proposal can be reviewed here.
As the Chief Elected and Executive Officers of the town, the Select Board are vested with all the municipal authority not specifically retained by the town's legislative body, Town Meeting. The Select Board appoint a Town Administrator, responsible for the daily management of the town, whose powers are specified in Chapter 270 of the Acts of 1985, as amended.
The Select Board:
- Issue the warrants for Town Meetings and make recommendations on the warrant articles
- Initiate legislative policy by inserting articles in Town Meeting warrants
- Implement the votes subsequently adopted
- Adopt town administrative policies
- Review and set fiscal guidelines for the annual operating budget and the 6-Year Capital Improvements Program
- Make recommendations to Town Meeting on the budget and Capital Improvements Program
- Appoint department heads and members of most official boards and commissions
- Serve as Police Commissioners for the Town as outlined by Massachusetts State Law
- Hold public hearings on important town issues and periodic conferences with agencies under their jurisdiction and with community groups
- Represent the town before the General Court and in all regional and metropolitan affairs
- Enforce town by-laws and regulations
- Serve as the licensing board responsible for issuing and renewing over 600 licenses in more than 20 categories, including common victualler, food vendor, liquor, lodging house, open-air parking lot, inflammables, special events, and entertainment
The Select Board meets every Tuesday evening, unless otherwise posted (summer meeting schedule may vary). Location: Select Board Hearing Room, 6th Fl., Brookline Town Hall, 333 Washington Street).
Select Board meetings are broadcast live by Brookline Interactive Group.
The Select Board Hearing Room is fully accessible and assistive listening devices are available.
Agendas & Minutes
Aaa Bond Rating Reaffirmed
We are pleased to announce that on March 5, 2020, Moody's reaffirmed the Town's Aaa bond rating. Brookline is one of just 14 communities in Massachusetts that has been assigned the Aaa rating by Moody's. You can access the report here (PDF).
Statement of the Select Board
Please read the Brookline Select Board Statement (PDF) dated February 7, 2017 regarding the Town of Brookline's status as a Sanctuary Town.