Trash & Recycling Cart Request
The DPW recognizes that the needs of our customers will change over time. If the size of your trash or recycling cart does not work for your household, you may request a cart swap, or exchange, at any time. Customers may also request additional carts. Making changes to your cart size may impact your annual refuse fee. Requests for the purposes of exchanging or ordering carts will be addressed in the order they are received.
Residents may choose from three cart sizes:
- 35 gallon (holds 3 kitchen bags); $230 annually; $57.50 quarterly
- 65 gallon (holds 6 kitchen bags); $310 annually; $77.50 quarterly
- 95 gallon (holds 10 kitchen bags); $392 annually; $98 quarterly
The annual refuse fee (billed quarterly) is based on one (1) trash cart per residential unit, and are invoiced based on the carts chosen, with two exceptions:
- If there are more carts than residential units at a property, the customer will be invoiced according to the annual rate of the selected carts.
- If there are fewer carts than residential units at a property, the customer will be invoiced at the annual rate of the selected carts, or $230 per unit, whichever is higher.
- Changes made to cart size will be reflected in the next quarterly bill. No rebates are available if a customer exchanges for a smaller cart.
Recycling carts are included in the annual refuse fee at no extra charge.
- Recycling carts are available in three (3) sizes: 35 gallon, 65 gallon (standard), 95 gallon
- Customers may request an additional recycling cart without impacting their annual refuse fee.
You will be contacted by a member of the Sanitation Department to arrange delivery of your trash cart using the information you provide.
Recycling carts are generally delivered within 60 business days of a submitted request. If a delay is anticipated, the customer will be contacted.
A $40.00 cart fee will be added to the account when changing the cart size, requesting to upgrade a trash cart size or adding additional carts.
Please email RefuseBilling@BrooklineMA.gov to request trash or recycling carts
Questions and concerns regarding the status of a cart order should be directed to (617) 730-2156 or email Public Works.