On recrute !
Town of Brookline
Marriage License PDF Print E-mail

Except for a few exceptional circumstances, the couple must appear in person at the Office of the Town Clerk in order to obtain a marriage license. The couple must complete and sign under oath an Intention of Marriage. Information necessary to completing this form is your social security number, your place of birth and your mother's maiden name. The fee for filing the Intention of Marriage is $40.00.


Massachusetts requires a mandatory three day waiting period from the time the Intention of Marriage is filed before a Marriage License can be issued. A waiver from this period may be obtained from a local District Court. A marriage license must be used within sixty days from the date of filing the Intention of Marriage and may be used for a ceremony conducted in any Massachusetts city or town. The member of the clergy or the Justice of the Peace who performs the ceremony must sign the license and return it to the city or town where it was issued.


The Brookline Town Clerk is also a Justice of the Peace and has the legal authority to perform marriage ceremonies. Those desiring a civil ceremony performed by the Town Clerk should contact the Town Clerk's office in advance of the date of the ceremony. To obtain a list of other local Justices of the Peace contact the Office of the Town Clerk or call the Secretary of State's Commissions Section at (617) 727-2836.