Selectmen’s Committee on Senior Tax Policy
- Ben Franco, Board of Selectmen
- Frank Caro, Senior Advocate, TMM Pct. 10
- Harold Peterson, Board of Assessors
- Jeff Kushner, TMM Pct. 14
- Neil Gordon, Advisory Committee, TMM Pct. 1
- Sandy Spector, Resident, Senior Tax Work Off Program Participant
- Susan Granoff, Senior Advocate, TMM Pct. 7
The charge of the committee shall be:
1) To evaluate residential property tax relief for low and moderate income senior homeowners. The Committee may accomplish this by:
- Reviewing information about Brookline’s residential taxpayers to understand the current, and possible future, composition of the residential taxpayer base, including the number of low and moderate income senior homeowner taxpayers;
- Evaluating the effectiveness and adequacy of statutorily available tax relief programs for low and moderate income senior homeowners and, as needed, offering improvements to the implementation of the programs in Brookline;
- Investigating the efforts of peer Massachusetts communities to provide residential tax assistance to seniors and determining the effectiveness and appropriateness of adoption of similar programs and policies by Brookline; and
- Considering the creation of innovative programs that could be implemented to assist senior homeowners with low and moderate incomes.
3) To provide to the Board of Selectmen by no later than August 3, 2017 a report of the information the committee has gathered and its recommendations.
4) In carrying out its charge the committee shall at all times be mindful that granting additional relief to low and moderate income senior homeowners will increase the burden on other groups of taxpayers.
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
Most Recent Agenda | View All Agendas and Minutes