Building Committee 9th Elementary School at Baldwin
With the final selection of the Baldwin School site as the location of Brookline's 9th elementary school, the project is now in the Feasibility Study phase. During this phase, Jonathan Levi Architects (JLA) will be working with the 9th School Building Committee, the School Committee as the user agency, the Building Department, and numerous town commissions and departments including Parks and Open Space, the Building Commission, the Recreation Department, and the Transportation Board to more deeply analyze the site specific considerations of this site. During the Feasibility Study phase JLA will create design options for the size, configuration and location of the school on the Baldwin site. The outcome of this phase will be the Building Committee's selection of a preferred design concept that will then move the project forward into the Schematic Design phase.
The members of the 9th School Building Committee represent a broad range of constituencies and experiences, including parents, community members who live near the Baldwin School site, elected officials, and Town and School Department Staff. The first meeting of this committee will be on Monday, November 30 at 8:00 a.m. in Room 103 of Town Hall. At this initial meeting the Building Committee will create a schedule of their upcoming meetings. All meetings of the Building Committee are open to the public.
The members of the 9th Elementary School Building Committee are:
- David Pollak, Co-Chair – School Committee
- Neil Wishinsky, Co-Chair – Board of Selectmen
- Janet Fierman, Co-Chair – Building Commission
- Melvin Kleckner - Town Administrator
- John Doggett - Advisory Committee Representative
- Clara Batchelor – Parks and Recreation Commission
- Daniel Bennett - Building Commission
- Blair Hines - Greater Baldwin Neighborhood Representative and Brookline Planning Board Member
- Steven Brooks – Greater Baldwin Neighborhood Representative
- John Co - School Parent Community Representative
- David Gacioch - School Parent Community Representative
- Andrew Bott - Superintendent of Schools
- Mary Ellen Dunn - Deputy Superintendent of Administration and Finance
- Nicole Gittens – Deputy Superintendent of Teaching and Learning
- AC Sevelius – Principal, Heath School
- Ray Masak – Project Manager, Building Department
- Ken Kaplan - Building Commission Representative
JLA will complete the Feasibility Study by May 2017. JLA has already begun the initial outreach and work with staff to develop the action plan, timeline and deliverables for this phase of the project. The timeline and process for the Feasibility Study - including all scheduled public meetings - will be posted here in the upcoming weeks.
Email a question or a comment regarding the 9th School Feasibility Study.
Sign up online to receive notifications regarding the Building Committee for the 9th Elementary School at Baldwin.
Monday, December 12, 2016, 7:00pm, Robert T. Lynch Municipal Golf Course, 1281 West Roxbury Parkway
Public Kickoff Meeting for the Feasibility Study Phase of the project. The Building Committee, School Department, and Jonathan Levi Architects will provide a complete update on the timeline, process, and objectives of the Feasibility Study Phase. The meeting will include public comment and community members are invited to ask questions and share their ideas on the project. Download the agenda.
COMMITTEE CHARGE AND SLATE OF MEMBERSHIP
There shall be established a Building Committee for the 9th Elementary School at Baldwin. In keeping with recent practice on the Devotion School project, this committee shall be modeled using the MSBA Building Committee guidelines as a starting point. The Committee shall consist of a member of the Building Commission, Board of Selectmen and School Committee, each selected by their designated boards, who together shall serve as co-chairs of the Committee. The other members of the Committee shall be as listed below. The Board of Selectmen, working with the Town Administrator and staff, shall provide candidates to fill the Park and Recreation Commission representative and the two greater Baldwin neighborhood positions. The School Committee, working with the Superintendent and staff, shall provide candidates to fill the two school parent community positions. The Superintendent shall designate the school principal representative. The slate of members shall be ratified by the Board of Selectmen and the School Committee.
- 1 member of the Park and Recreation Commission
- 2 persons representing the school parent community (School Council or PTO)
- 2 persons representing the interests of the greater Baldwin neighborhood.
- The Town Administrator or designee
- The Building Commissioner or designee
- The Superintendent of Schools
- The Deputy Superintendent of Schools for Administration and Finance
- The Deputy Superintendent of Schools for Teaching and Learning
- A School Principal Representative
The Building Committee shall work with the Project Manager and consultants in support of the project. The Project Manager shall attend all the meetings of the Building Committee and serve as the Committee’s staff person.
The Building Committee shall be concerned with all aspects of the project including budget, schedule, safety, public relations, coordination of town agencies, logistics, and contract compliance.
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
Most Recent Agenda | View All Agendas and Minutes