Override Study Committee
Override Study Committee
The Board of Selectmen shall establish a 2017 Override Study Committee (OSC) to determine whether an operating tax override of Proposition 2½ shall be recommended to support the Town’s FY 2019 Budget. The recommendation shall detail the amount of any override, its allocation and for how long its intended support until consideration of the next tax override. The OSC shall be a temporary committee consisting of 7 or 9 members. The OSC shall include a member of the Board of Selectmen, a member of the School Committee, and a member of the Advisory Committee. The remaining members shall be appointed in a manner to balance the various interests of the community. The Town Administrator and the Superintendent of Schools and their respective staff shall participate in the OSC process but shall not be members of the Committee.
The 2017 Override Study Committee (OSC) shall build upon the strong foundation provided by the 2014 Override Study Committee, the Efficiency Initiative Committee (2009), the Facilities Master Plan for the Schools (2008/2010), and the findings and recommendations of the Brookline School Enrollment and Capacity Exploration (B-SPACE) committee (2013). The 2017 OSC shall complete the following tasks in connection with this Charge:
- Utilizing the Town’s long-range forecast and budget projections, determine the structural budget gap for Fiscal Year 2019 and beyond;
- Examine school enrollment projections and costs associated with enrollment growth including operational costs associated with the expanded Devotion School, High School and new 9th Elementary School.
- Assess the adoption and implementation of the efficiencies and best practices identified by prior override study and efficiency committees;
- Examine potential non-override revenue sources, including costs, feasibility, potential savings and other impacts of potential adoption and implementation;
- Benchmark Town and School programs, expenditures and revenues with comparable municipalities;
- Compile data that shows the impact that increased taxes and fees will have on taxpayer and residents;
- With input from the Town Administrator and School Superintendent, prioritize programs or other expenditures for funding.
- Analyze the impact to Town and School programs of failure of its recommendations.
The 2017 OSC shall submit a detailed written report of its findings and recommendations no later than February 9, 2018. As the Board of Selectmen determines, the Committee shall remain in place and participate in public forums to communicate its report and recommendations.
 While costs of capital projects shall be taken into consideration when compiling impact data, the 2017 OSC shall not be empowered to review or comment upon the selection of a site for the 9th elementary school or the expansion of the Brookline High School.
PDF Version of the Charge to the Committee
October 23, 2017 Introductory Presentation
Prop 2.5 Ballot Questions Requirements and Procedures
Presentation on Override Process - 11.01.2017
Review of 2014 Recommendations
2017 OSC School Budget Primer
2015 Override Study Review
Ben Franco, Board of Selectmen
Heather Hamilton, Board of Selectmen
Julie Schreiner-Oldham, School Committee
Cliff Brown, Advisory Committee
Betsy DeWitt – Resident
Meggan Levene - Resident
Joseph LiPuma – Resident
Harold Petersen – Resident
Jeff Rudolph – Resident
Charles Terrell - Resident
2014 Override Study Committee Archive Page
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
Most Recent Agenda | View All Agendas and Minutes